Laying down on a gentle slope on an alluvial cone, Celledizzo is now almost one village with Cogolo, the administrative centre of Val di Peio. Celledizzo is constantly expanding and offers a series of opportunities, mostly related to tourism and local handicraft: an old sawmill can still be seen at the village entry.
The earliest evidences of the village date back to 1220 (de Celladicio), but its origins are certainly older. As early as in 1323 the church probably was the matrix of the valley’s chapels. In 1409 it could administer sacraments independently from the Ossana Parish. Celledizzo was a single entity with the nearby Cogolo, and was independently ruled according to a "Carta di regola" (doc. 1764) until the early 19th Century. Under Napoleon it became the seat of the townhall, whereas it became an independent municipality under the Austrian empire. Following WW1 it was joined to the Peio municipality.
The Parish church of Saints Fabian and Sebastian still shows its 15th -16th Century design, although partly modified by a lengthening of the aisle towards the entrance (1621). The aisle-less interior is covered by a ribbed vault which was a typical feature of the Valley’s gothic architecture. The presbytery area has preserved parts of early 16th Century frescoes. The beautiful 17th and 18th Century alter pieces are framed by carved wood niches. The Via Crucis canvasses are attributed to the Riva del Garda painter Giuseppe Craffonara (1790-1837).
a must to see
Behind the Parish church rises the ancient chapel dedicated to Saint Rocco, also known under the name of Saint Anthony the Abbot, but only the apse remains. The erection of a new bell tower for the main church (1893) entailed the destruction of the Chapel room. Inside are the remains of an important frescoed cycle dated 1473 and reportedly made by the brothers Giovanni and Battista Baschenis. The paintings portray the symbols of the Evangelists, a Crucifixion, the Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi as well as Saint stories.